World of Threads - Part One

On the weekend, we went to see World of Threads. As always, it was without a doubt, the BEST fiber art show we have seen all year. The curators Dawne Rudman and Gareth Bate, have done an incredible job, bringing together some of the most interesting, talented and creative artists in this very wide medium.

I'll be sharing some of the work with you over the next couple of days. First up:


Works by Hana Pinthus Rotchild from Ancaster, Ontario. They are woven and sewn.


 
 
 
These pieces are by Carol Eckert from Tempe, Arizona. Her assemblages are composed of coiled cotton, linen and wire. There were several other pieces of hers in the show, but these two were my favourites.

 
 
 
 
This piece was by Jackie Pusey from Bristol, UK. Her pieces had a number of components including puffy foam, cotton organdy, goat fur, feathers and porcupine quills!
 
 

 
Sue Hotckiss from Guernesy, United Kingdom created this wonderful piece with various fabrics and digitized embroidery, heat distressing and drawn thread work.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Some of the very few representational art pieces, and they were just glorious.  Made by Marilyn Clarke of Guelph, Ontario, she identified her technique as "textile collage". 
 
Up close, the pieces were a bit pointilistic in that they seemed kind of blurry - but once you stepped back, they all came into focus. Really beautiful work.



Gloria Currey Stanley of Maple Ridge, British Columbia, had three of these wonderfully disturbing sculptures made of pine needles, waxed linen, dyed reed, glass and sea whip in the show. BSP and I kept tiptoeing back to look at them - but from the side. We only wanted to see, not be seen! ;)

(What the heck is "sea whip?!?)

They were difficult to photograph being in glass cases, so even though I took pictures of them all, I am only showing you this one, entitled "The Eyes in the Trees Never Blink".



Katie Bubenko of Weekhawken, New Jersey made several of these assemblages composed of painted silk on wood and canvas. All were very bright, colourful, and fun.


 
 

Maryann Kyryluk of Thunder Bay, Ontario, made this fantastic (and huge!) piece out of jute and gel, entitled "Within Our Grasp".

So, that's it for today. :)

I didn't take pictures of every single artists's work, and I didn't take pictures of ALL of each individual artist's works - but I did take pictures of what caught my eye.

There was a lot of weaving this year (I mean, a LOT); and although the artists were talented and made beautiful work, its not a favourite of mine, and I didn't realize until I got home that the only weaver's work I pictured is that in the very first picture - Hana Pinthus Rotchild's work.

Over the next couple of days, I'll be sharing the rest of the pictures I took.

But if you can, you really should see the show in person. World of Threads through November 27th in Oakville and Mississauga.

See you tomorrow!

Kit Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment