Hi everyone. :)
As you may or may not know, I belong to SAQA (Studio Art Quilts Associates); an organization for professional fiber artists. You may be surprised by this, as you'll probably remember that I don't like to be anywhere near that "quilt" designation, and generally get pretty spicy when anyone refers to my work as a "quilt".
However, SAQA has re-defined the definition of a "quilt" (“a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure”.) It's still pretty traditional "quilt" leaning, but without changing their name, it's likely the best they could do!
SAQA has an annual trunk show, and this piece is my entry for it.
These are difficult and uncertain times, and though I truly believe that art should respond to the time and circumstances in which we find ourselves; right now I find I am strongly drawn to "pretty".
Those of you who have been with me for some time will know that this is something I struggle against constantly; ceaselessly wondering if "pretty" has any value. I'm sure you're all saying to yourself right now: "Girl. AGAIN?! Really!!!???!!"
Well, no, surprisingly.
I finally have my answer. "Pretty" is allowing me to move forward right now. "Pretty" is filling up my well. "Pretty" is giving me space and peace while I regroup and prepare for what's coming.
The time for a stronger, more authoritative response will arrive; but right now, pretty is feeding me. And because of that, I realize that "pretty" has a place, and it's not an unimportant one.
The detail above shows the new watercolour technique I've been practicing, to reproduce a bark-like effect for small or delicate pieces like this in which my trademark needlefelted bark is too heavy. I'm quite pleased with this attempt and really happy to know that it will only get better as I practice.
The background fabric was also painted with watercolour, and the fox and the bird fabrics were painted with acrylic. I suppose I could have painted them with watercolour as well, but I'm so used to working with acrylic for animals and people that I never thought of it!
Then I added some beads to create a snow effect, some hand stitched winter grass and baby trees for texture, and called it done.
I'm pleased with this bit of fluff and am very happy to submit it to SAQA. Hopefully, it will sell while on its travels. :)
'Til next time.