Making progress

Apparently, tomorrow is a very elastic term with me. lol

But, back to what I was talking about last week... So, the water turned out fine once it was dry, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but watercolour kind of makes up its own mind about what it wants to do (and that's even more true when you're painting on fabric!); so I left it to its own devices and called it good. 

I made the ladies out of a vintage table cloth and painted their skin on cotton muslin.

Because this piece is so small, I stayed very true to the original sketch.

As always, thread matching is the difficult part. 

I counted my shades of blue, including what I have on the wall and in this basket, and I have 73 shades of blue. But I still didn't have the "perfect" shade for the stitching! I mean, really. How big does a woman's thread stash have to be?!

I decided to make do with the less than perfect shade and stitched it down, being careful to make wavy watery shapes and allowing for the different shades and colours in water. Of course, once I cut the piece down to size, most of that was gone because I scaled it to the size I was working on, not the size I was cutting. 

Note to self: Cut first, then stitch!

(Nothing is going badly with the piece, but then, nothing is going very well, either. I hope it resolves itself as some point!)

When that was done, I started pinning bits of fabric in place as you see above, but I'm not sure about it. 

The fabric looks cool, and is in very in line with my style of work, but somehow the purity of the image is lost. 

Hmmmm. What to do, what to do...

More tomorrow maybe. 

Talk soon!

Kit Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment